Meet Our Guest: Rabbi Ben Newman
Rabbi Ben Newman is the founder and spiritual leader of Shtiebel, a new paradigm Jewish community in the Rivertowns of Westchester, NY. He served for 7 years as the rabbi of Congregation Har Shalom in Fort Collins, CO, along with his wife Rabbi Shoshana Leis. Rabbi Ben received a B.A. from Skidmore College in Religion and Culture, an M.A. in Jewish Studies from the Reconstructionist Rabbinical College, and rabbinical ordination from the Academy for Jewish Religion in New York.
He previously served as the Associate Rabbi for JRF Congregation M’vakshe Derekh in Scarsdale, New York. Rabbi Ben is the author of a series of childrens’ books called The Enchanted Sukkah about a time travelling sukkah. In addition to being a writer and a rabbi, Ben is a singer-songwriter who delights in chanting, playing guitar, and using an Indian instrument called a sruti box. He also enjoys reading Jewish literature of all types, as well as science fiction (his favorite author is Philip K Dick), philosophy, and beat poetry. Rabbi Ben lives by the shores of the Hudson River in Dobbs Ferry, NY and his greatest joy is being father to his daughter and his son.
- Shtiebel, Rabbi Newman’s start-up community
- Bayit: Your Jewish Home, a great source for DIY Jewish resources
- “One Day” by Matisyahu
- Rabbi Newman’s book (just in time for Sukkot) The Enchanted Sukkah
- Mordecai Kaplan’s book Judaism as a Civilization
- Books by Reb Zalman Schachter-Shalomi
- Books by Rabbi Art Greene: Seek My Face: A Jewish Mystical Theology & Ehyeh: A Kabbalah for Tomomorrow
- “Believe It or Not” – Theme song for The Greatest American Hero
Full disclosure: Links to these books are affiliate links. This means: If you buy the books through these links, a small commission goes to support the show, at no additional cost to you.
Disclosure addendum: Man, that song takes me back! (both of them)
Shout-Out to the Designers of Our New Podcast Cover
- Small + Sole – Go-t0 design services for small business and solo entrepreneurs looking to launch or re-launch their brand online with clean, simple, and beautiful design.
Musical Shout-Out for Our Intro & Outro Beats
- Nola Nigun by Joey Weisenberg and the Hadar Ensemble
NEW CLASSES Coming Soon with Rabbi Carrier
- Miller Introduction to Judaism Class (I’m teaching the AJU August 2018 session)
- Florence Melton School of Adult Jewish Learning (I’m teaching the Wednesday Year 1 CORE class & the Jewish Denominations graduate class)
Introducing…the Jewcurious Community Center
In this episode I shared that I was inspired/challenged by a listener named Brian to create a forum for Jewcurious people to gather, share your stories, share your challenges, support each other, and celebrate your growth.
So here goes!
I’ve created a private Facebook group called the Jewcurious Community Center.
(This is a working title; early adopters of the group can help pick a new name, if you like!)
If you’re curious about how this community might help you (and who you might help), click this big button to try it out and see…